Sunday, August 17, 2014

Whirlwind!

Hi all!


Now I know what the term "whirlwind" really means, because that is what it has been here so far!  Everything is going so fast and I'm realizing I haven't even really taken any pictures!  It's hard to explain being here, it's different from home but very similar at the same time.

Friday was my first full day here in Abu Dhabi, and a few of us went to the Marina mall, which is huge and of course very modern with every store that USA has and more.  I bought a SIM card for my phone and bought a cheap phone for my kid.  It's only temporary, although the fit she had you'd think her leg had been cut off!  Then we ate at the food court.  I had some Indian food that was really quite flavorful for "food court" food.  Now, one thing you will learn about me is that I am a restaurant snob!  I can't help it, it's how I was raised!  I absolutely despise chain restaurants and usually avoid them like the plague.  I like a variety of authentic cuisines and would prefer a hole in the wall mom and pop place to _______ ( insert any chain here;  chipotle, subway, outback, red lobster, ewww!)  Don't even get me started on fast food restaurants!  So, when I say I ate in the mall food court, it's my idea of "slumming".  Hahahaha.  But one thing I have learned from all my travels is you find food where you can!  At least at first, until you can do some research and find the "authentic" restaurants!

Yesterday was our first "official" ADEC meeting and we learned some basic facts and phone numbers, opened bank accounts and, low and behold, received our furniture allowance!! I was in a happy state of shock!  I know in the past, people have waited weeks and weeks for that check.  But ADEC has definitely improved how they are handling new arrivals.  We are to receive our apartments and keys on Tuesday!  Unbelievable, strange, exciting, and scary all at once!

I will definitely write more as the adventure continues!

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment